On the southwestern shore of the Zamboanga Peninsula, in the island of
Mindanao, lies a municipality called Sirawai. No one knows how and when
Sirawai started as a community. Perhaps, Sirawai existed, even before the
coming of the Spaniards to our shore. Old residents of the town believed
that Sirawai started as a cluster of houses of the subanens, kalibugans
and samals whose main economic bases were farming ( kaingin system ) or
the slash and burn method, hunting and fishing. The natives of Sirawai
engaged in bartering their farm product with the traders from other
coastal towns. Sirawai flourished in the middle part of the 19th
century as a result of the logging operation in the area. Due to the
demand for staple food, the residents developed the production of
agricultural products, as one of its major industries.
Political History- Sirawai was formerly a barrio of the municipality of Siocon. It formally became a municipal district of Siocon in 1918. On June 15, 1968, by virtue of Republic Act No. 5234 signed by then President Ferdinand E. Marcos, Sirawai gained its status as one of the corporate municipalities of the province of Zamboanga del Norte with 34 barangays within its territorial jurisdiction. However, its creation took effect after the 1971 local election. Thus, on January 1, 1972, the first set of elected local officials assumed to office.
The municipality is celebrating its annual town fiesta every 3rd Sunday of January in honor of patron Saint Sñr. Santo Niño.